Instagram was originally launched in October 2010 and has grown in popularity massively since its original launch. Something truly amazing about Instagram is that when it was launched it had a whopping 1 million users within the first 2 months of going live.
Since the 1 million mark was reached in 2010 the growth has continued exponentially, to the point where the amount of monthly active Instagram users reached 1 billion in June 2018 (that’s a 1000% growth from October 2010 till June 2018).
This leaves some people asking the question, why is Instagram such a popular platform? We thought we would look for ourselves and try to answer this question.
So, what makes Instagram such a popular platform?
- The app is very simple to use and widely supported across android and apple devices.
- You can buy a camera phone cheaper than ever before; this makes it easy for people of all ages and backgrounds to get started on the social network and there’s no need for professional photography equipment (which can cost thousands).
- The Instagram app gives users the ability to make their photos look more professional with built in filters and effects and again this is easy to do.
- Sometimes a picture does speak a thousand words, some people find it easier communicating via a picture instead of words.
- There’s less of a negative vibe than on some other social networks.
- When it was launched in 2010 there was not a great deal of other apps like Instagram available in the app stores, this would have given the platform a good kickstart to where it is today.
- An all in one solution from taking the photo to editing and uploading, the Instagram app covers everything plus it’s fast and easy to use. This is particularly useful for anyone who is less tech savvy as well.
- Some people like to show off or just want to increase their followers, for this reason some use the platform as a sort of personal showcase. And the features that the platform offers allows users to do that with just a smartphone.
- People share images they wouldn’t otherwise share on other social networks. This is probably because they consider Instagram a more private social network in comparison to others, which makes them feel more comfortable sharing their images.
- Images are easier to browse and digest after a busy day. it’s probably a lesser known fact but images are easier for your brain to process than words (according to this article a picture is worth 60,000 words). And modern life is busy, so it’s easy to say that this may have something to do with Instagram’s popularity.
To break it down
So, there you have it, there are just a few of the reasons why Instagram is so popular around the world, but to break it down into a brief sentence:
Instagram is popular because it is simple and easy to use, widely compatible on smartphones with budget or high specs, Quick for users and more private than some other social networks.